During MCN2013 in Montreal, Quebec, the Media Production SIG met for the first time to discuss the needs of this newly formed Special Interest Group.
Here are the notes from the meeting:
How can we reach people year-round to create a network of media professionals?
Start year round discussion on Twitter. Have a permanent hashtag for people to use (#museumvideo) and install widget on the blog.
There is a desire to keep blog long form and public to be able to share more
Should we start a ListServ? Who would host/manage? It should be archivable and easy. Maybe Google Groups? Consider having people apply to the listserv to avoid heavy sales focus?
Topics for Next Year:
- Accessible Production: Logistics of Content Production and Guidelines for Creativity
- Video Project Process: Tips and Tools for Organization and Management
- Long Form Video for Museums
- Hiring Media People: What skill sets do digital media creative teams need?
- Process Inspiration: Tips from Other Fields on Making Digital Media
- Educating Leadership: How to teach your boss about video and digital Media
- Forced Outsourcing: How to manage Digital Media projects (creativity and when you have to use an outside company
- Importance of Video: Setting Context of Video in Museums
- Telling Stories with and without media
- Evaluating Video
Are we missing anything? We hope to create a year round program of discussions and communication to make the SIG a valuable resource for our members.